A finished cardigan

After I decided to make my red cardigan’s sleeves plain (with no lace or any other special decoration), the rest of project knitted up very quickly. The one sticking point was the buttonband- I really thought I could squeeze it out with the teeny little bit of that red I had left, but it just wasn’t going to happen. So, my only choices were to tear out some part of the finished cardigan body or to head for a different color, either contrasting or coordinating.

IMG_7782Above are two of the rejected contrasting choices (top left and bottom), and the little bit of remaining mystery yarn (middle right).

IMG_7784Not quite. Too tomato-soup-red, not enough burgundy.

IMG_7785No way. It’s a pretty color, but too raspberry-red to coordinate well with the deep cranberry color.

IMG_7777So this is what I settled on. The color is in the same family, but with nice grey undertones that work really well with the strong, saturated color of the cardigan body. I attached three mother-of-pearl buttons and blocked it.

IMG_20160310_125041I wore the thing to work on Friday, and it was clear that this sweater, while I completely and totally love it, needs to go live with my mom. Her birthday is coming up, and this cardigan will be gorgeous on her. The fit will be right, the color will be right, and she’s about due for a big knitted gift!

IMG_7787While I deliberated about the color matching for the buttonband, I started a new project. It’s been in the back of my mind that I need to take a break from socks for a while, but it’s hard to just stop knitting socks when you’re a sock knitter. In an attempt to at least slow the tide a bit, I decided to work on a more complex sock pattern. If I can’t stop completely, maybe it will work to throw some roadblocks up for myself? This pattern is Serpentine Socks, from Wendy D. Johnson’s Socks from the Toe Up. I used my regular toe, rather than the one she included in the pattern (I had already made my toes when I found this pattern book at the library), but I intend to try out her prescribed heel. I have a go-to heel recipe, but I want to learn a few new heel techniques to beef up my sock game. The toe yarn is left over from Wes’ dad’s Christmas socks from last year, and the rusty red variegated yarn is Malabrigo sock yarn in a mystery colorway from a couple years ago. This yarn has been in my stash for a long time, and I’ve been very excited to use it for something special for myself! It’s practically summer here in Charleston, so I doubt I’ll get much wear out of them before next year, but I’m still very excited about them.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s