To kick off the new year in style, I decided to finish off a project that has been lurking in my UFO stash for a veeeeery long time- the Light and Up shawl. I had a concern about how the lace section’s yarnovers lined up, and instead of frogging that last couple of rows and double checking the stitch counts, I set it aside and started at least five new projects. It’s not a great way to get a project finished, but boy, was it a productive couple of months!
Here’s the view from yesterday afternoon, when we got back from Knoxville. I got a fair amount of knitting done in the car, and rather than fixing any questions about yarnovers lining up, I just kept knitting. Full steam ahead! So much so that I missed a couple of rows! I decided to be excited about progress, rather than worrying about following the pattern perfectly, and it was a good idea. Then, in the spirit of moving forward and making things up as I went along, I decided to do three repeats of two lace rows each rather than two repeats of three rows each. I’m not sure what it is about that arrangement that I like better, but I do, so there it is!
So I finished the shawl with its three repeats of two lace rows, and set about blocking. The way I blocked my last shawl worked beautifully to accentuate the points along the bottom of the lace section, but for a straight edged bottom edge like Light and Up has, it just couldn’t work. I’d basically need a pin for every other row, which I wasn’t going to bother doing.
Since I don’t own special, dedicated blo0cking wires, I went with some plastic-covered galvanized wire that I bought from a hardware store about ten years ago. I’ve used it for about two projects in that whole time, so I had plenty left.
I could have waited for the shawl to dry before making the finishing touches, but I was excited about the momentum, so I went ahead and made the tassels to attach to each corner. I know there are pompom makers and tassel making equipment of various kinds out there, but I devised a pretty solid way of making tassels using what I have on hand.
To set the length of the tassel strands, I chose a cylindrical object of a certain diameter. In this case, a pillar candle worked incredibly well. I taped a strand of yarn along it lengthwise, to make sure it could tie around all of the individual strands once everything was in place, and got to wrapping.
After tying around each bundle, I folded the strands down and tied around the whole thing. Since the yarn I’m working with is not incredibly strong, I tied around the bundle first with some nylon beading thread- it stretched a little bit, but certainly wasn’t going to break no matter how tightly I tied it. Over top of the nylon thread, I tied the tassel with the matching yarn, and finished everything up.
It’s a wonderful feeling, to be done with a project that took a lot longer than expected. I’m excited to start the year off with a successful project, and I can’t wait to wait this lovely scarf. The tassels are just so sweet! There will be photos of the finished, dry, be-tasseled shawl tomorrow.