This yarn has been lurking in my stash for a very long time. I’ve started and frogged several projects with it, always deciding that there’s something better for it to do… eventually. The time finally came, though, and with the storm coming through over the weekend, I had a lovely opportunity to get some work done on WIPs.
These mitts are a bit of a departure from my standard handwarmer formula. Instead of increasing for a thumb gusset, I played around with the lace pattern to make a panel that extended up onto the thumb, and came back up above the thumbhole. I don’t know if this style of thumb has a name, but I used essentially the same technique as an afterthought heel, using a waste yarn placeholder and coming back to pick up the live ends to create the rest of the thumb. I like trying something new, but I’m not sure I’m in love with the overall design- I think it would have benefitted from being a bit longer on the wrist. They’ll probably look better on someone with longer, thinner hands, or worn under a long-sleeved jacket.